AI-integrated devices are helping to usher in a new era of technological convenience; Alexa compatible smart thermostats are one such example of this technology.
The ease with which these intelligent devices modify household climate control is genuinely astounding — never has regulating your home temperature been so simple yet efficient.
These devices have become increasingly popular, and we all know what an increase in demand results in; supply and competition.
Therein lies your issue — this increase in competition leads to more products on the market, and not all of them are worth buying.
Fortunately for you, we understand your dilemma, which is why we’ve compiled a list of the top 9 Alexa compatible smart thermostats.
Here are the Top 9 Alexa compatible smart thermostats:
- Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat ST55
- Google Nest Learning Thermostat
- ecobee Lite Smart Thermostat
- Emerson Sensi Smart Thermostat With Touchscreen
- ecobee Smart Thermostat With Voice Control
- Honeywell Home Smart Color Thermostat
- Google Nest Smart Thermostat
- Cielo Breeze Plus Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell Home T9 Smart Thermostat With Sensor
Table of Contents
What Is An Alexa Compatible Smart Thermostat?
Smart thermostats are similar to programmable thermostats; they have a scheduling feature that allows you to set different temperatures for different times of the day.
However, they come with additional features, including:
- Sensors that determine whether or not your home is occupied; they can suspend heating or cooling until you or your other family members return.
- They use Wi-Fi connectivity to give you access to the thermostat at all times, regardless of where you are.
- A smartphone application and web portal work together with the smart thermostat. This means your HVAC system can work autonomously or via remote-control.
An Alex-compatible smart thermostat takes things one step further; any smart thermostat compatible with Alexa will work with all Alexa-enabled devices. These devices include Echo, Echo Dot, and Echo Show.
How To Install An Alexa-Enabled Smart Thermostat
An Alexa compatible smart thermostat requires the following to work:
- The thermostat itself.
- A WI-FI connection.
- A heating or cooling system of sorts (HVAC system).
- A C-wire, or a common wire. This runs from your low voltage heating system (24v) and acts as a return path for continuous power for your thermostat.
- A smart thermostat app that is downloaded to your smartphone, mobile device or computer.
- An Alexa comptabile device.
To learn how to put these all together, refer to the brief installation section in our previous smart thermostats article.
Alexa Installation & Pairing
- Install your chosen Amazon Echo Device
- Download and install the required phone app.
- Install your smart thermostat and register/link it on your phone app.
- Link your smart thermostat to your Amazon Alexa-enabled device. To do this, enable the relevant skill on the Alexa App by finding the skills section.
- You can now search for the skill that you require and enable it.
- After enabling your skill, enter your login information.
- Finally, once you’ve gone through the setup process, the skill will prompt you to discover devices/devices that you may have already added.
How Do Alexa Compatible Smart Thermostats Work?
Alexa Hunches is a feature that allows Alexa to carry out tasks for you (with your permission).
It does this by tracking your daily routine and habits. What’s more, it requests to carry out informed decisions.
Here’s a good example; turning off your Alexa-paired lounge lighting by saying,“Alexa, goodnight.” Should you ever forget to turn off your lights in that manner, Alexa will remind you, either by voice or mobile push notifications. Alexa will not interfere should you choose not to turn your lights off.
However, there is an automated setting that you can enable. This will allow Alexa to perform tasks that you may have forgotten about, such as setting the temperature of your household or locking your smart doors after leaving the house.
Linking Alexa-Enabled Devices
We’ve already mentioned how smart thermostats can link to Alexa-enabled devices, Amazon Echo, etc.
This is important for smart thermostats that lack an onboard speaker or microphone. Thankfully, most of the latest smart thermostats come with these features.
With an Alexa compatible smart thermostat, you can:
- Raise and lower the temperature of your household.
- Set Schedules
- Check the status of your households temperature.
How Much Do Alexa Compatible Smart Thermostats Cost?
After having looked at over 25 smart thermostats on the market, we determined the following:
- The average cost of Alexa Compatible Smart Thermostats ranges from $60 to $240 (Amazon Smart Thermostat/3rd Generation Google Nest Learning Thermostat), with the average price coming in at $143.
It’s important to note that the prices we used were the original prices, not the sale prices. With that in mind, you’ll be pleased to know that plenty of the smart thermostats we looked at were on sale for more than 20% off.
9 Smart Thermostats That Integrate With Alexa
1. Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat ST55
First up, we have this ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat from Sensi Sensi. It helps you save on your HVAC energy costs, with features like geofencing, 7-day flexible scheduling, remote access, and in-app system usage.
The built-in level, step-by-step app instructions, and standard size make for a quick and easy installation.
It’s compatible it’s Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit (c-wire required), and Samsung SmartThings smart home platforms. Moreover, you can control this thermostat remotely from the Sensi mobile app from your Android or IOS device.
Finally, Sensi’s smart Sense helps to detect extreme temperature and humidity levels in your home.
2. Google Nest Learning Thermostat
This smart thermostat learns your schedule and programs itself to help save energy.
You can control it from anywhere, anytime with the Nest app.
It’s compatible with both Alexa and Google Assistant so you can adjust the temperature with your voice.
It’s one of the pricier entries on this list, but with a 4.6 out of 5 from over 33K ratings, you can be sure that this thermostat is worth the money.
3. ecobee Lite Smart Thermostat
Save up to 23% annually on heating and cooling costs with the “lite” version of this smart thermostat from ecobee.
Manage hot or cold spots throughout your home while being able to automatically pause your heating or cooling when a door or window is left open (you’ll require the SmartSensor + Smart Security subscription for this feature).
As a bonus, this smart thermostat will work seamlessly with any smart home system of your choosing.
4. Emerson Sensi Smart Thermostat With Touchscreen
Worried that you’re going to struggle with installing your thermostat?
This smart thermostat by Emerson comes with a built-in level, illuminated easy-click terminals, and easy-to-follow instructions for a quick and easy installation.
What’s more, it’s compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, or Samsung SmartThings.
Feature-wise, you can monitor current day and historical heating, cooling, and fan runtimes from your app.
Moreover, you can control your device from anywhere while receiving smart alerts about temperature extremes and humidity levels in your home.
5. ecobee Smart Thermostat With Voice Control
This version of the ecobee smart thermostat is similar to its “lite version” “cousin.
However, it comes with Sir and Alexa built-in for calls, music, and added control (Apple HomePod mini is required to enable Siri).
Additionally, it comes with a SmartSensor that helps to extend comfort to your most important rooms.
Much like the “lite version”, this smart thermostat can detect doors or windows that have been left open. In response, it’ll pause your heating or cooling systems.
It can also be linked to any smart home system of your choosing.
6. Honeywell Home Smart Color Thermostat
This base version of this smart thermostat by Honeywell is one of the more cost-effective entries in our list, but no less effective.
A standout feature is its full-color display that you can customize to fit your unique style, with color selection to match your home’s decor.
On the practical side of things, this smart thermostat allows you to create a custom 7-day temperature schedule that you can update with ease.
Compatability-wise, it works with forced air (gas, oil, or electric), hot water and steam, and heat pumps with electric backup. It does NOT work with electric baseboard heat (120-240V).
7. Google Nest Smart Thermostat
Looking to save on your electricity bills? The Nest thermostat from Google comes with a savings finder. This feature actively helps you look for ways to save — it suggests tweaks to your schedule in the app.
Additionally, it turns itself down when you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home.
Lastly, this thermostat looks out for your heating and cooling systems, sending an alert if something doesn’t seem right. These helpful reminders make maintenance easier.
8. Cielo Breeze Plus Smart Thermostat
Cielo Breeze provides you with a feature that is a first of its kind — you can control your connected AC even without WiFi via on-device local controls. All you need to do is go through the initial registration.
You can power ON/OFF and control fan speed, swing position, modes of operation, and much more. You still have the option to control your AC from anywhere by keeping your device connected to the Wi-Fi.
iOS, Android, Web, Alexa, or Google Home — the choice is yours.
Control your ACs, set up weekly schedules as per your lifestyle, and configure location-based controls for automated operation and energy savings.
9. Honeywell Home T9 Smart Thermostat With Sensor
Ever wanted a specific temperature for your bedroom to get a good night’s sleep while not disrupting the rest of the house?
Honeywell Home’s T9 smart thermostat is a fantastic option for those of you looking for just that. This smart thermostat, along with its sensors, allows you to customize the temperature of individual rooms.
What’s more, these Honeywell-powered Smart Room Sensors utilize unique Honewell technology to deliver an efficient signal up to a range of 200 ft.
Finally, you can control the T9 using the Honeywell Home app or through Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, and more.
Alexa compatible smart thermostats are well and truly taking households worldwide by storm.
Never has it been so easy for you to control the internal climate of your household. At last, you can control your clever little companions with the use of Alexa while at home, in the office, or while on vacation.
If you happen to have any experiences with these energy-saving devices, please feel free to reach out to us in the comments section below!